18 April 1906
It's about 10 AM on the morning of April 18th 1906. The earthquake had happened a few hours before and John Mentz recorded the scene before crews moved car 455 out of the way and emptied the car-barn of the cars on this floor. The cars went to the end of the Mason line where they burned two days later. That night, fire swept through this car-and-power-house destroying it to a pile of rubble. Amazingly the winding machinery was repaired and some of the lines re-opened before the new car-house was completed. This car house was rebuilt and survives today as the Cable Car Barn.